Saturday, October 10, 2009

Anne's Alluring Addresses

I love Colorado Springs. It is just a beautiful place. We all know that the text of "America the Beautiful" was written by Katharine Lee Bates, inspired by the view she saw from the top of Pikes Peak (which I can see from my front door. I love this place.).

But what most people don't know, is that she must have been good friends with Anne of Green Gables and convinced the Co Springs government to bring her down here to name the streets. Or at least that's all I can figure out. How else would you get names like:

Nonchalant Cir.
Carefree Cir.
Scenic Cir.
Jubilant Place
Picturesque Dr.
Delighted Cir.
Undimmed Cir.
Blissful Cir.
Splendid Cr.
Hopeful Dr.
Amiable Way
Inspiration Dr.

But my favorites have a story: My very first night here, I went running. I was going up a huge hill (which I soon realized is ALL that Co Springs has--great hill training)--like, it wasn't ending. And I was NOT used to 6000 ft. elevation. I was dying. With perfect timing, I passed a street sign that made me laugh outloud. It was too appropriate. The sign read:

Purgatory Dr.
(Can you imagine living on that street--"Where do you live?" "Purgatory.")

But it gets better--I continued on, and the first street on the downhill had a sign that read:

Deliverance Dr.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! YOu're so funny. I just watched Anne a couple of weeks ago and she had me giggling just like she always has. I just love her red hair;) I didn't know you were in C Springs!! My parents would really love to see you if you ever have time. I'll be sure to let them know you're around those parts. Love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete