Saturday, October 10, 2009

"Bubbly"

My middle school darlings and I had our first choir concert of the year (my first one EVER!) on Thursday night. It was a great success. More on that later (maybe).

Our assistant principal, Mrs. Gohl, got up to welcome everyone to the concert, and told the story of how she and I met and how I got hired. She said, "I met a very happy, bubbly young woman..." Which is an incredibly accurate description of me.

In my 6th grade the next day, we were talking about how the concert had gone. One of my girls raised her hand and said, doubtful, "Was that story Mrs. Gohl told about you true?" I said it was. She looked suprised. I retold the story, clarifying a few details.

I looked back at her and she still looked really puzzled...or concerned. So I questioned her. She said, "But, were you really...all...bubbly?" I said, "Yes...just like I always am, all smiley and happy..."

She said, "Oh! I thought when she said bubbly that it meant that you had, like, bubbles or something all over your face!"

She thought I'd walked into my interview with my face covered in blisters or something.

The whole class then piped in to confess, unabashed, what they thought she had meant by "bubbly":

-Blowing bubbles in Mrs. Gohl's face with those soapy bubbles and "magic wands" kids use
-Chewing gum and blowing and popping bubbles with it
-Fat
-Puffing my cheeks out with air (looking like a blowfish, you know?)
-Gassy

Looks like we need to work on vocabulary next quarter. :)

Can you see why I love my job?

3 comments:

  1. Another word for "bubbly" is "effervescent." Sparkling drinks are effervescent. They tickle your nose. They're fun to drink.

    And when you shake them with your thumb over the mouth of the bottle and then take your thumb off, they spray all over the place. (I don't know what that has to do with the analogy, but it sure was fun to write. And let's not even mention Mentos.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another word for "bubbly" is "effervescent." Sparkling drinks are effervescent. They tickle your nose. They lift your spirits. They're fun to drink.

    You can see how "effervescent" applies to Lori.

    And when you shake them with your thumb over the mouth of the bottle and then take your thumb off, they spray all over the place. (I don't know what that has to do with the analogy, but it sure was fun to write. And let's not even mention Mentos.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I definitely laughed out loud! I love kids! :)

    ReplyDelete